Frequently asked questions |Breast Pumps | Star of Baby
- Which breast pump is suitable for me?
It totally depends on you, you just need to consider how often you are going to use the breast pump. There are two types of breast pumps available i.e manual breast pumps and electric breast pumps. If you are planning to use the breast pump frequently, an electric breast pump tends to be the best option for you. On other hand, Manual pumps are good for occasional pumping.
- What is the difference between manual breast pumps and electric breast pumps?
- Manual breast pumps: Manual breast pumps are small and cheaper than electric breast pumps. It takes more time and effort to draw out the milk. Manual breast pumps are better for occasional use. You can keep a manual pump as a backup in case the electric one does not work or if there’s a power outage.
- Electric pumps. Electric breast pumps can be easier to use than manual pumps because they don't require as much physical effort and milk can be drawn faster. Electric breast pumps are real time-savers. Electric breast pumps may help you to increase your breast milk supply. Electric pumps can be plugged in or are battery-operated.
- Can pumping reduce the milk supply?
This is a very big myth. The breast milk supply varies for every woman. It is not related to the use of breast pumps. In fact, frequent use of breast pumps can increase or maintain the breast milk supply. Breast milk supply is based on demand and supply so, moms will produce the milk as per the baby’s demand.
- Can pregnant women use breast pumps?
Yes! of course, There is no harm in using a breast pump to extract milk while pregnancy. Even doctors do recommend using breast pumps because some women experience sore nipples during pregnancy and find it difficult to breastfeed their older babies directly.
- How many times can I use the breast pump in a day?
Well, You can use the breast pump after every three hours. How many times you would express breastmilk depends on you and your baby’s feeding habits.
- Pumping with a used breast pump is okay or not?
For sure it is a bad idea to use a used breast pump. Never borrow a breast pump and never rent a breast pump, it is not good for you as well as for your baby because bacteria and viruses from the previous owner can get stuck inside the pump. No matter if you sterilized that breast pump many times. These bacteria can be hazardous to your baby's health.
- How to clean the breast pump?
Wash and sterilize all parts of the breast pumps before the first use such as the breast shield and any other parts that would come in contact with your breast or milk. Boil all the parts of the breast pump but make sure you read the directions about how long to boil the part. After doing this, wash the bottles, nipples, and other parts of the pump in hot, soapy water. Otherwise, They can spread bacteria if not cleaned properly.
8. Why do I find it difficult to express milk with the breast pump?
There could be various reasons behind the difficulty of expressing milk using a breast pump. One of the big reasons could be unusual suction pressure. Using a bad quality breast pump could lead to ineffective pumping of breast milk. Always make sure that the flanges/shield of your breast pump fit you perfectly.